St. Gerard House is a place where passionate people come together to help those who are in need. We are always trying to meet new people and finds ways to fit passionate, talented individuals into our organization. Through various programs and administrative duties, SGH has many different options for those trying to use their skills to better the lives of others.
St. Gerard House Job Description
Connect Program Assistant
Job Overview: The Connect Program Assistant helps with the preparation of lessons and instruction in the classrooms.
Reports To: Connect Program Coordinator
Work Schedule: Connect Program Assistants are expected to work during the programs operating hours/sessions
Employee Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt, 20 hours per week.
Qualifications: The Connect Program Assistant should have a background in teaching, childcare, or human services. Experience with autism is highly preferred.
Essential Responsibilities: The primary duties of the position include:
• Ensure the children’s safety at all times
• Directly work with Connect Program Coordinator to teach and aid the students in improving social, emotional, behavior, and other important life skills
• Assist in writing lesson plans with the Connect Program Coordinator
• Actively and creatively engage with the students while demonstrating an encouraging and positive attitude
• Display an understanding of the philosophy of Connect: exploring how thoughts, actions, and reactions impact social situations
• Assist in preparing the room and activity as needed
• Assist with the implementation of the curriculum and lesson plans developed by the Connect Program Coordinator
• Modify children activities as necessary to promote engagement and support different needs within the classroom
• Maintain a professional and positive relationship with fellow employees, parents, children, visitors, and volunteers
• Be prompt and reliable
• Maintain a learning environment that is orderly, clean, warm, and inviting
• Uphold all SGH Values and follow the Center’s policies and procedures
• Communicate concerns or questions to the Connect Program Coordinator
Physical Requirements: The Connect Program Assistant will be performing various physical activities frequently in order to ensure safety and care for themselves, clients, and others.
Physical Requirements of the position include, but are not limited to:
• Lifting up to 50 pounds
• Lifting and carrying clients with adaptive equipment
• Hearing, seeing, and speaking
• Working in an indoor and outdoor setting in various weather conditions
• Performing various physical activities easily, such as walking, crouching, squatting, bending over, sitting, standing, reaching, pushing, pulling, holding, twisting, writing, and running
• Having visual acuity to read and comprehend written communication through electronic devices and paper means